» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   R6.com : Yamaha R6 enthusiasts Portal > R6 Chat > Oil and Lubrication

Old 04-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
R6xxxER
Bike Polisher

Default 04 R6, whats the best oil & oil filter?

I recently bought a 2004 R6 and was wondering what is the best oil i should get for it? also what oil filter do i need?
thanks for the input, anything helps.
R6xxxER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
ninerider
Trainee Grease Monkey

I too own an 2004 R6...I would love to hear some input into this as well!!!
ninerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
JMCASH
Mechanic

Send a message via MSN to JMCASH Send a message via Yahoo to JMCASH

Wow guys, I guess Im the only one that is actively attending this forum. I can assure you though that I do know what Im talking about and the best oil I have found thus far is called Thumper. Its made by BelRay, Get the 10W-40 synthetic blend for best results. And yes if you have the money, get the K&N oil filter. otherwise a FRAM has always been good to me. I wish more people would post on here other than me.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
ninerider
Trainee Grease Monkey

Thanks again for your input!!! Believe it or not I have not even checked to see what kind of Filter was put on the bike. I will be using the Thumper Synthetic on my next oil change!!!!
Old 06-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
ninerider
Trainee Grease Monkey

Would a 10W-50 synthetic blend be too much for the 2004 R6??? I went to the Yamaha dealership and that is what the pointed out for me. I would like to think they know what they are doing, but I did question it as the manual states 10w30 or 20w40. I have been having a pretty hot summer in Indy if this makes a difference. Any input would be appreciated (as long as you know what you are talking about - lol)
Old 06-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
JMCASH
Mechanic

Send a message via MSN to JMCASH Send a message via Yahoo to JMCASH

Summer time....depending on how often you ride....I personally use a 20w-50. I know it seems a bit extreme but if youre doing any type of traffic light to traffic light and hauling a$$ in curves and etc a thicker oil will offer more protection. Also Ive been using a squirt or two of Lucas Oil treatment and stabilizer to just keep everything in balance. Its great for higher mileage engines and for those with whats known as a wet clutch. Anyway, the hotter your bike runs the higher viscosity you want and you should consider using a higher weight as well. Its general knowledge. Oil becomes more watery the hotter it gets.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
Amsoil Dealer Group
Supporting Sponsor

There is not a better oil filter made than the AMSOIL EA Series (EAOM-103 for R-6) which is conservatively rated at 15 Micron Absolute.. For air, stay with the OEM filter.

Oil: AMSOIL Product Code MCF 10W-40. There is no reason to use a higher viscosity oil if a Premium Synthetic is used. More possible wear on cold start, Loss of HP, loss of fuel mileage and increased oil temps.

See the Motorcycle oil test data in our Sig. Pick one of the top 3 oils and you will be assured of a good oil.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

Motorcycle oil test data: http://bestoil4you.com/files/MC_Oil_Study.pdf
Amsoil Dealer Group is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement